Dryer Will Not Heat Up – Dryer Repair Help
- 24 Nov, 2019
Did your dryer will not heat up?. Everything else works but it will not heat and dry your clothes. Your dryer is an older model and has been working fine for years. What are the most obvious parts or components that can fail and cause this heating issue?
Dryer will not heat up – How to troubleshoot?
Safety Note: When troubleshooting a dryer that will not heat up (removing panels, testing fuses, elements, thermostats) remember to unplug the dryer for safety reasons.
Tools Needed To Troubleshoot Dryer Not Heating:
– Screwdriver (to remove parts from wiring)
– Multi-meter (to check for faulty parts)
– Crescent Wrench (if needed for side panel)
– Socket Wrench (if needed for side panel)
– Flashlight (optional)
– Safety Gloves (optional)
Is The Dryer Getting The Needed Voltage?
- Is the dryer plugged in?
- Is the power cord damaged or faulty?
- Inspect that the cord is still securely attached to the dryer. (The dryer electrical cord can be damaged when the dryer is pulled out from the wall)
- Check the circuit breaker box and or the fuse box.
- Be sure all breakers are in the proper position and not tripped.
- If you have a fuse box, check the fuses with a meter.
Is The Dryer Venting System Blocked With Lint?
- If the dryer vent hose is clogged with lint, your dryer will struggle to dry your clothes.
- Check the dryer lint filter that is located inside the dryer.
- Be sure the lint filter is clean and free of all lint.
- Make sure the vent hose and where the hose connects to the dryer is clear of all lint.
- Take the vent hose off from the wall and check for any lint blockage.
- Use a canister type of vacuum and vacuum out all lint from all areas.
Is The Thermal Fuse Faulty/Blown?
- Most dryers contain a thermal fuse for safety reasons.
- If this thermal fuse blows or is faulty, the dryer will not heat.
- Remove the panel and find the location of the thermal fuse – check dryer manual if needed.
- Test it with a meter for continuity to be sure it is in working order.
Dryer thermal fuse
Is The Dryer Heating Element Faulty?
- The dryer heating element is the part that gets hot and allows the dryer to heat.
- If this element is faulty, the dryer will not heat up.
- Remove the panel and locate the heating element and test it with a multimeter – check dryer manual if needed.
- Using the multimeter and getting a reading of infinite resistance means the element is faulty and needs to be replaced.
Dryer heating element
Is The Dryer Thermostats Or Timer Faulty?
- The thermostats in your dryer, if faulty, could be the issue of no heat.
- The timer in the dryer, if faulty could also be a cause for no heat.
- Open the dryer by removing a panel and locate the parts – check dryer manual if needed.
- Locate the thermostats and check them with a multimeter.
- Check the thermostats for continuity – The reading should show zero or infinity.
- Locate the timer and test it with the meter.
- Using the meter, the timer should show from 2000 to 3000 ohms if working properly.
- Remove and replace the thermostat or timer if not in working order.
Is The Wiring In The Dryer Secure/Not Burned?
- The wiring in the dryer can come loose or get burned from the heat.
- Check inside the dryer for melted wiring.
- Inspect the wiring where it connects to components and parts.
- Check for anything that may be loose and tighten with your screwdriver.
- If you find burned or melted wiring, replace the wiring.
Dryer wiring kit
Please Note: The repair and troubleshooting methods above are generalized for most dryers including Kenmore, Hotpoint, Emerson, Maytag, GE, Whirlpool, Samsung, LG, Haier, Sharp, Bosch, KitchenAid, Frigidaire, Toshiba, Panasonic, Amana, Asko, Beko, Electrolux, Fisher & Paykel, Speed Queen, Miele, SMEG, Summit, and Zanussi dryers.
If the above “dryer not heating” repair methods have not solved the problem with your dryer, leave a description of your issue with the model number of your dryer . Appliance Genie will help you solve the issues you are having with your dryer not heating across Kitchener, Waterloo and beyond.
Dryers have helped transition life with fast laundry processes and protection of your clothes. You don’t want to go back to hanging your laundry outdoors or incur additional costs of buying another dryer.
Ensure proper dryer maintenance by avoiding overloads, closing the vent space, and cleaning the machine. It’ll help extend the dryers life span.
Is your dryer giving you nightmares and you can’t fix it? Schedule an appointment with us. We offer same day service.
No matter how big or how small the job is, the dryer repair technicians from Appliance Genie will only install genuine replacement parts when working on your appliances. We only offer manufacturer-approved parts, to ensure everything works just the way it should, and we offer our very own Appliance Genie guarantee on everything we provide. Furthermore, we stand behind the quality of our workmanship and back it with our 100% customer satisfaction guarantee.
The team of knowledgeable, experienced technicians at Appliance Genie will perform an accurate diagnosis and repair to ensure the comfort and safety of your home and family across Kitchener & Waterloo. Call us today at 519-500-7773 or contact us online to schedule an appointment.
Here When You Need Us
We make ourselves available on your schedule. Call ahead to let us know what time works best for you.
Quality Work, Every Time
Our experts are polite and respectful of both you and your family. We provide quality, safe work every time!
Before work is begun, we always explain what we are going to do—meaning you never encounter surprise fees.